All posts tagged FGB6
Posted by Mike Norris on September 14, 2011
On September 17th, thousands of CrossFitters will be enduring 17 minutes of pure grit and dedication in honor of those who have sacrificed their whole lives to service. I’ll be there. Please check out my page and support my 17 minutes! Pass it on.
Benefiting the Special Operations Warrior Foundation
The Special Operations Warrior Foundation was founded in 1980 to provide support and assistance to the U.S. Armed Forces special operations community, which includes:
- Army Special Forces (Green Berets),
- Army 75th Ranger Regiment,
- The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment,
- Navy Small Boat Teams,
- Navy SEALs,
- Air Force Combat Controllers,
- Air Force rotary and fixed wing squadrons, and
- Marine Corps special operations personnel.
There are two major aspects to the Foundation’s mission:
- If you are serving in the U.S. military special operations community, and you lose your life in an operational mission or training accident, the Warrior Foundation will provide a full college education to your surviving children.
- If you are severely wounded while deployed, the Warrior Foundation will provide immediate financial assistance and support to ensure your loved ones can be at your bedside during your recovery.
While the Foundation has bestowed college scholarships since 1980, they began providing financial support to wounded special operators in 2005.
Although there are other charitable organizations that give financial aid to wounded personnel and their families, SOWF saw a need for immediate financial assistance. Therefore, the Foundation provides $2,000 in cash to families of special operations personnel hospitalized with severe wounds; which the recipient(s) may use for travel, child care, food and lodging.
Posted by Mike Norris on August 6, 2011