“5 minutes on this machine is like working out for 30 minutes!”, I overheard someone say last week. My son and I looked at each other and I said to him, ” You know what’s like working out for 30 minutes?” He replied, ” Working out for 30 minutes!”
Quick fixes are everywhere you turn. There are pills, diets, surgery and on and on. Well I’m going to let you in on a health and fitness secret. Now if I told you to cover your screen and not tell anyone, that this was top-secret and I’m only charging you 5 installments of $19.95 for this information and for the next 10 minutes I’ll throw in some super secret fat melting pills developed by NASA scientists for a secret mission to Mars…well, you’d already be entering your credit card information. however, pay no attention to my advice because it’s based on proven science and results and I’m giving it away for free. THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS OR QUICK FIXES. You get out what you put in.
Here are 5 simple truths:
1. It does really start with food (Insert credit to WHOLE9 here). See the paleo way of eating. It works, period.
2. Exercise. Move around a lot at a normal pace. Lift heavy things. Get some intense interval training or sprinting.
3. Stress. Get proper rest. Manage stress through exercise and meditation or yoga. Adopt a positive mental attitude.
4. All of the above are LIFESTYLE CHANGES. You can’t expect to put in temporary effort and get permanent results.
5. If you put as much effort into the above that you do trying to find a way around them then you will achieve the results that you want.
*This is the truth and the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
Posted by Mike Norris on June 19, 2012
Teresa (Left) Before
Several months ago Teresa attended an Intro To Paleo Concepts Workshop that I taught at Crossfit Lafayette. Following the workshop, I received several questions from her and received pictures of groceries to show the change that she was making. She bought in completely, wanting better health for herself and her children.
Not only did Teresa make changes in her food but followed all of the workshop advice, getting quality sleep and reducing stress in her life. She then joined Crossfit in order to work on the exercise portion of the equation. What happens when you follow the 3 pillars of paleo?
I caught up with Teresa recently and she looks great and is excited about the things to come. She told me that-
“I’m doing things that I never thought possible. You really don’t know what’s inside you until you push yourself.”
It’s always gratifying to see someone who follows all of the advice, really buys in and then see them reap the rewards. Congratulations Teresa!
Posted by Mike Norris on September 25, 2011